Thursday, January 15, 2015

Eli the brave. He just turned 6. At 6, that boy has more courage than I do at 37! I am desperately afraid of the dark. The night was cold, dark, and quiet. Jacob had gone out to manage the cows in the field and some other stuff that you do when you own livestock. He was out in the field, so our barn was dark.

I needed someone to take a bag of buns out to the chickens in the barn. I asked the boys, and one responded. Eli the brave got his coat on, took the grocery bag of buns from my hand, walked to his room and picked up his bb gun. He was off. He was halfway there when I realized there was one plate of pizza. Don't you know chickens like pizza! I called out to the night for him. When he didn't call back, I assumed he was in the barn. A minute later, the door opened and little Eli the brave appeared asking what I needed. He had the bag of buns in one hand, bb gun in the other and was poised like a real farmer with a shotgun on a hunt. He's growing up too fast! Again, he walked back into the dark night toward the barn.

Eli returned to the house, and I was invited. He invited me on a mouse hunt! Quickly, I put on my coat and shoes and followed this little boy to the barn. As we approached the barn door, he said to me, "Mom, I know you're not experienced in mouse hunting, but the first think you need to know is you have to keep your mouth quiet." Acknowledging the seriousness of the opportunity to let him lead me into his adventure, I complied. Mostly.

I held the flashlight as Eli the brave gave slight nods to indicate where I was to shine the beam of light. Together we hunted the furry rodents for about 30 minutes. We didn't catch any mice. Eli said the night was too cold and his dad likely scared them all off when he got into the hay. Content to call it a night, he promised that we would hunt mice together again. Just the two of us. I'll look forward with great anticipation to that day.

The window into his little world was so precious and full of excitement. Thank you for the invite Eli. I can't wait until the next time.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment