Thursday, September 3, 2015

What's That Smell?

Every family has to choose how carefully and closely we monitor certain aspects of raising our children. Sometimes we hold tight with conviction, sometimes we choose to become creative in our management style. So it goes in our home. 

Now don't get me wrong, I do hold tight with conviction that kids should bathe. They should shower or take a bath with the full goal of cleanliness in mind. In my home, however, I don't oversee this aspect of childrearing with a determined schedule. My oldest son showers every night. It's his routine, and he likes to feel refreshed before bed. One down, five to go. 

With the others, I have found that the power of connection covers a multitude of things. I cannot tell you on any given day when the last time the remaining five children were bathed. I don't pay attention and lend brain power to that. I've learned that if I am connected to my kids, the bathing will manage itself. For if this mama leans in to give you a kiss and a hug and there's an odor, you bathe. If you come out of the shower and I lean in to give you an attaboy or attagirl hug and encounter hair isn't fresh in a positive sense, you bathe again. 

Life does not have to be high stress. Let some things go. You'll be surprised what will take care of itself in the end. Just stay closely connected. Let that be the priority. 

The End. 



2 comments:

  1. Or there are those times when you haven't smelled any stench...they just have that "cozy" scent about them. Then they rat on themselves...in front of you...to the Meijer cashier that they have been wearing this shirt for three days now! And your face turns bright red. Then you know that a shower is in the very near future. Oh, and a lesson on what to share with people and what not to share with them when they compliment you on a shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Yes, the old tell the cashier trick. I wonder if those moments are secretly planned...

    ReplyDelete